Wow, can you believe that 2020 is almost behind us? It has been an extreme year for many of us, but we have pulled through. In 2020, many businesses started popping up, due to numerous people being retrenched from their companies. Now is the time to start planning your business’s goals for the upcoming year!
A new, fresh 2021 filled with promise and hope is what we all crave now for our battle-tired minds. Some may even say that 2020 taught us that our goals had to be constantly reviewed and, in some cases, even left us feeling overwhelmed.
Goal setting is important, now more than ever – it is essential! Remember the old saying that a goal without a plan is just a wish. Serious goals need to be set now to get your life back on track and your business back in shape. The time for feeling sorry for yourself is over, the mourning for what could have been is gone – the time to stand up, take charge, and move forward has arrived.
Here are simple, but effective guidelines for goal setting:
- Be time specific. Set dates when you expect to have achieved that goal and hold yourself accountable for that.
- Be specific on your goal. It is no good just saying I want to increase my turnover by 20%. You need to be clear on how you intend to achieve that.
- Be reasonable. By setting unrealistic and unachievable goals you will only be setting yourself up for failure.
- Write down your goals so you can always go back and refer to them and reread them to motivate you.
- Remember to share your goals with your team. Get them on board and let them discuss their views and often they will see a different angle you never thought of.
- Be optimistic when setting goals. If you don’t feel the excitement in your veins and hope in the air you are just wasting your time.
- Throw in a personal goal that will motivate you such as, “If we get those numbers, I will go on that cruise I have been wanting to go on.”
Wishing all of you a very happy and relaxed festive season and a prosperous 2021. Keep in mind that 2021 is most likely to present bumps along the way, but you mustn’t be discouraged – stay focused on the end goal and make sure you take action!
Peter De Lange, ActionCOACH Business Coach