Goal setting is one of the easiest ways to achieve success and your dreams but most of us shy away from setting goals because we do not know where to start, what to include and we fear failure if we do not achieve them. Here are four things I have learned over the years that have helped me set my goals effectively: Long-range versus short-term goals Long-term and short-term goals and are important. Long-term goals are about your dreams, and you need to keep dreaming for yourself, your business, and your family. Short-term goals on the other hand are the immediate goals, which are the goals you need to achieve today, this month, and this year that will contribute to achieving your long-term goals. These are your confidence builders. What you should include when setting your goals Broadly speaking there are three categories of goals to include:
- Economic – these need to be meticulously planned. Research shows that only 5% of people who plan include economic goals and these are the goals that lead to success.
- Things – include both small and large things. List them and tick them off as you achieve them. When you achieve the large goals – celebrate, it builds confidence.
- Personal Development – determine what skills you need to acquire to be able to achieve your goals.
The simple three-step formula for setting goals
- Work on your goals. Setting your goals is hard work. Do not just work hard on your job, work hard on your future.
- Write your goals down. Be serious about your goals. Once you have written them down, it is easier to adjust the next time around.
- Check the size of your goals and what they are because – “Your goals are affecting you whatever they are” – Jim Rohn.
Ensure your goals are S.M.A.R.T. We often hear the term S.M.A.R.T. goals. What does it mean? It helps to write your goals in a S.M.A.R.T. format which are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and have a Timeframe. If goal setting is something you struggle with in your business – reach out to your nearest ActionCOACH Business Coach to attend our quarterly planning workshop (GrowthCLUB) that allows you to:
- Set your goals,
- Plan ahead for the next quarter,
- And implement new strategies in your business.
Learn more about our GrowthCLUB, click here: https://bit.ly/3rRObyp