Welcome back to 2022. I hope you at least managed to get some rest time over the festive period and that you enjoyed some peace and quiet, some great family time, some ‘me’ time, and of course that you had way too much to eat and drink. No doubt you’ve come back energised, focused and ready for an awesome 2022! Or have you? At the end of last year, I heard a lot of comments like:
- I didn’t achieve any of my goals in 2021
- I couldn’t do or plan anything anyway with everything that was going on
- I gave up setting goals because what’s the point
- Why bother nothing ever works out anyway
- I’m tired, I’m overwhelmed, I just want the year to end
- Goals don’t work
- I’m so over goals
Whilst concerning at the time, it was maybe somewhat justified at the end of what has been two ‘interesting’ years. We’ve most certainly been on a runway rollercoaster ride and it hasn’t been easy. Sadly, I’ve actually heard similar comments at the start of 2022 when traditionally we would come back to January fired up and ready to conquer the world. So what’s happening? Why are we perhaps disillusioned and not that focused, interested or passionate anymore? For me, it’s really simple. If you don’t ‘see’ a future you won’t build it. The purpose of turning your Dreams into Goals is so that you can ‘see’ a desirable future for yourself, your family, your business, and your life. So maybe this will help.
- GOAL A lot of what I saw last year was not enough of WIIFM (What’s In It For ME). Too much energy out and not enough return. Whether that was emotional, financial, intellectual or returns in any other area. If you’re not seeing the direct benefits of your efforts, it’s almost impossible to keep going. YOUR business MUST serve YOU. If it’s not, then there’s something wrong and you need to set different goals or drastically change something.
- PLAN Generally, people don’t set bad goals they just don’t work enough on the plan to execute on them. They definitely work enough, perhaps even too much – but don’t have a structured plan to go about it. Also, generally speaking, the GOAL shouldn’t change, but the plan might very well have to. If the goal is still important then make sure you come up with a different plan to achieve it. Working harder at the same thing isn’t going to cut it. You need a new focus with a new strategy.
- DIARISE A major reason why goals aren’t achieved is that the time needed to achieve them is not scheduled and diarised. If your health is as much of a priority as you say it is, then where is your health time in your diary? If your family is so important then where are they featured in your diary? If your finances aren’t where they need to be then where is the time schedule to address the issue. Goals don’t miraculously appear, there needs to be allotted and prioritized time to achieve them. Get scheduling.
- REVIEW Regularly, and I mean REGULARLY, reviewing your goals, and progress towards achieving them, is critical. Too often we set the goal and then go about our business. We get busy and distracted and when we eventually check in we’re too far behind. When we’re too far behind we just take the easy road and give up. Excuses are easy. Regularly schedule time to sit down, yes sit down, and review the progress. How far have you come? Are you on track? Is the plan working? What changes are required? If you make regular tweaks and adjustments, and regularly review your progress you’ll have achieved your goals before you know it. Try it. You’ll thank me later.
I sincerely hope that helps. Goals are the only things that help us keep our focus and ensure we’re moving towards a better life, that we want, and therefore engineer. Also please remember your business is a vehicle to serve you, your family and your goals for your life. I know with absolute certainty the role of an entrepreneur is a very lonely and daunting one. You cannot do this alone. Stop kidding yourself. Reach out to one of the many ActionCOACH’s and let’s at least sit down and talk about you, your business and how we can assist in building it to serve YOU! Make 2022 your best year yet!